Alice secures place at top dance school

17 June 2022

Year 7 pupil Alice has pirouetted her way into one of the top dance schools.

Alice auditioned successfully for CAT, the Centre for Advanced Training in Dance, at the Lowry and now she will attend the classes twice a week from September as she looks to fulfil her dream of becoming a professional ballet dancer.

“It was a tough audition as there was an interview and I had to do a contemporary dance so I was at the Lowry all day,” said Alice.

“I think there were 50 competing for 10 places available and I couldn’t believe it when I got the email to say I was in. I am so happy.”

Alice admits it’s been quite a journey already to secure a place at CAT.

“I started to do gymnastics when I was younger and was spotted and asked to train with the British gymnasts.

“However when I was seven or eight I snapped my arm and that ended my gymnastics career.

“I have brothers so somehow I got involved with wrestling at Aspull Warriors and then a friend started at a dance school and asked if I wanted to go along.

“I began at the Pamela Knowles School of Dance in Horwich, which I still attend, and then I started going to Ballet Boost Associates in Stockport and I also go to Mission Aspire Associates in Wigan for modern, jazz and contemporary dance.

“I compete most weekends, around the North-West and in the UK.

“I love dancing and it’s amazing to secure this place. I will train twice a week at the Lowry and perform on the Lowry stage.

“All the teachers there worked at the Royal Ballet and that’s my dream, I want to go to ballet school.”